Future Planning and Activities
Xcel Energy first launched its Wildfire Mitigation Program in 2018. We filed our Wildlife Mitigation Plan with the Colorado Public Utilities Commission in 2019 and filed an updated Wildfire Mitigation Plan in 2020.
In 2021, we are continuing to execute our strategy and enhance operating procedures, including continuing system hardening; further develop system monitoring technologies; and enhance community partnerships. Our 2021 plans include:
- Removing and converting vegetation within right-of-way to create defensible space and minimize ignition risk
- Incorporate emerging technologies such as converted conductor, advanced monitoring and isolator monitors to mitigate fire risk
- Continue asset inspection and replacement work to enhance system protection
Our 2020, accomplishments included:
- Continued work to inspect and harden assets and developed enhanced operating procedures to manage elevated fire threat conditions.
- Developed and incorporated emerging technologies such as drones, covered conductor and advanced monitoring.
- Enhanced industry and community partnerships through stakeholder outreach and information sharing, gathering input, peer utility engagement, sharing best practices and lessons learned
- Identified emerging technologies of interest, such as remote sensing technology and predictive analytics promoting early detection of arcing to mitigate fire risk
- Filed an updated Wildfire Mitigation Plan with the Colorado Public Utility Commission
In 2019, we conducted inspections and began replacing our infrastructure including:
- Inspection of more than 2,900 miles of electric transmission line and 1,500 miles of transmission gas pipeline in Colorado via ground and aerial patrol and infrared inspection of all transmission lines.
- Analysis of 801 transmission structures for extreme loading conditions.
- Intrusive inspection of more than 2,800 wood transmission poles and 66,680 wood distribution poles. More than 2,300 of these distribution poles were replaced.
Read more about our Wildfire Mitigation Plan.